Friday, October 14, 2016

A personal update

For Christmas 2014, I got a pretty hefty gift:  I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer.  A large tumor in the sigmoid colon and several smaller tumors had spread to the liver.  Not a good thing to have.

I am fairly young (mid-30's), never smoked nor chewed tobacco, rarely drink alcohol, and my diet is pretty good.  I could do with more exercise but I am generally close to my "ideal" body weight.  No family history either except my maternal grandfather, who got cancer at a very late age.  What caused it? Was it some random charcoal bit from some burnt toast?  Was it that anti-freeze chugging contest?  We will probably never know.

Been doing chemotherapy treatments for a while now.  They are pretty excruciating.  I've had to stop working due to fatigue and weakness.  Beware, there is a lot of misinformation out there.  Google is not your friend here.

I picked up a book: American Cancer Society Complete Guide to Nutrition for Cancer Survivors: Eating Well, Staying Well During and After Cancer.  Lots of evidence-based information in here.  Comments on things like different diets, different foods, etc.


I get to stay home more so I figure I will write more.  Be positive, take care.

1 comment:

  1. I am kidding about the anti-freeze chugging, of course. It is meant to be sipped, not chugged.

    ReplyDelete